You may encounter the following error when you upgrade your existing Office package to Office 2000 SR-1 Full Install Product:
Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file F:\data1.msi
Cause of the Error
The above error occurs when the following conditions hold true:
- The current Office was installed using a CD-ROM that had the Data1.msi in the root folder of the CD. Data1.msi is the default file name that is used for the Office CD1 Windows Installer.
- The Office 2000 SR-1 installation is being done using a Select CD.
The difference between the installation procedure of your previous Office product and that of Office 2000 SR-1 through a Select CD is that in the latter Data1.msi is not used. In place of Data1.msi, Select CD contains a series of .msi and Setup files in root. There is one pair of both files for each edition of Office. For instance, to install the Premium edition from the Select CD, you need to run the Setup file for this edition, named Setupprm.exe, which in turn uses an .msi file meant for the Premium edition only, called Data1prm.msi.
If you are updating your current office product using the Office 2000 SR-1 Select CD, perform the following steps to fix the error message:
Note: The steps mentioned below require you to edit entries in the registry. Only proceed if you are comfortable working with the registry. A single mistake can cause irreparable damage to your system. We recommend that you back up the registry, before making any changes to it, as this will allow you to restore the registry incase any problem occurs. You can make a registry backup either by using the Export option in the Windows Registry Editor (regedit) or by using a reliable registry tool, such as RegServe.
- Go to Start and select the Run command.
- In the Open box, type regedit and click OK.
- In the Registry Editor window, go to Edit and click Find.
- Type Data1.msi in the Find What box and click Find Next.
- Continue with the steps 3-4 until the search results show a string value called PackageName.
- Double-click the PackageName string value and in the Value data box, type the name of the .msi package you are installing from the SR-1 Select CD. For instance, if you need to install the Premium edition, type Data1prm.msi.
- The string value PackageName is part of the key SourceList. You need to select the Media key, which is a subkey of the SourceList key.
- Double-click the string value 1, to open its corresponding Value data box.
- Here, type Selo9cd01;1 and click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.
You should now be able to successfully run and complete the setup of the desired Office edition using the SR-1 Select CD.