You may need to perform 2007 Office uninstall, if you receive the following error message while trying to install the original release version of Microsoft Office 2007 over a prerelease or trial version:
Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s):
The 2007 Microsoft Office system does not support upgrading from a prerelease version of the 2007 Microsoft Office system. You must first uninstall any prerelease versions of the 2007 Microsoft Office system products and associated technologies.
Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.
This error usually occurs due to one of the following reasons:
- One of the Office 2007 beta release versions is still installed on your system.
- One of the components of 2007 Office still remains on your system.
- One of the beta-release add-ins still exists on your system.
Therefore, if you want to install the original release of Office 2007 on your system, you will first have to perform 2007 Office uninstall on your XP or Vista computer.
How To Uninstall Beta Or Trial Office 2007
To perform 2007 Office uninstall on your system, you will have to complete the tasks listed below.
Task 1: Uninstall Office 2007 components using Add or Remove programs.
- Open Control Panel and select Add or Remove Programs option.
- Browse through the Currently installed programs list, select an Office 2007 release component or program, and select the Remove button.
- Next, follow the screen instructions to uninstall the selected component.
- Repeat the procedure until all Office 2007 components are removed from the system.
Task 2: Remove installer files of 2007 Office beta release version and stop Office services.
- From Start > Run execute the Installer command to open the Installer folder.
- In the Installer folder, first select View > Details and then select View > Choose Details.
- In the Choose Details dialog box, select Subject check box, and specify the width as 340. This will display the subject of each .msi file in the Subject field.
- Identify Office 2007 .msi files, with subject Microsoft Office ProductName 2007.
- Next, with the installer folder open, select Start > Run again, and type msiexec.exe /x in the Open box.
- Drag one of the Office 2007 .msi files and drop it beside the msiexec.exe command in the Open box. This will add the path to the selected file in the Open box.
- Next, press the End key add a space, type NOREMOVESPAWN=1, and then select OK.
- Repeat the steps for all the Office 2007 .msi files.
- Next, open the Computer Management window from the Control Panel, expand Services and Applications and select Services.
- Stop the Office Source Engine service if it is running, and close the Computer Management box.
Task 3: Remove related files and folders.
- On Start > Run type %CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared and select OK.
- If present, delete the Office12 and Source Engine folders.
- Next, run %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office and delete Office12 folder.
- Next, on the root of each drive on your hard disk locate the MSOCacher folder and delete all folders with the name Office)- in it.
- Next, run %appdata%\microsoft\document building blocks\language_id and delete the Normal.dotm and Normalemail.dotm files.
- Next, run %appdata%\microsoft\templates and delete the Building blocks.dotx file.
- Next, run %temp% and delete all temporary files from the folder that opens.
- Next, run %AllUsersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data and delete the Opa12.dat file. Remember, that you must not delete the Opa12.bak file.
- Restart your PC.
Task 4: Remove beta release registry keys.
Open the Registry Editor (regedit) and delete the registry keys given below:
Next, delete all keys with ValueName as Uninstallstring with value as *\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe* under the registry key:
After you complete the above tasks, restart your PC and start installing the original Office 2007 on your computer. If you still encounter errors, then temporarily disable the antivirus and spyware programs on your system and continue with the installation process.