What is wininet.dll?
The wininet.dll library file contains Internet-related functions used by various Windows applications. Removal of this file will prevent applications that require an Internet connection from working properly.
The following wininet.dll errors occur on Windows 98 SE computers that use Internet Explorer 5.0.
Error Message 1
When you type a URL in the Address box in Internet Explorer, you may encounter the following wininet.dll error:
â€œIEXPLORE caused an Invalid Page Fault in module Wininet.dllâ€
Error Message 2
When you type anything in the Run dialog box, you may encounter the following wininet.dll error:
â€œEXPLORER caused an Invalid Page Fault in module Wininet.dllâ€
Cause of Errors
These errors are generated when the AutoComplete feature for Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer tries to use some corrupted information in the History folder.
To fix this issue, perform the steps listed below:
- Double-click on the Internet Explorer icon to open its corresponding window.
- Select the Tools menu and then click Internet Options.
- Next, in the Internet Options window, click on the Advanced tab.
- Next, clear the check boxes before the Use inline AutoComplete for Web addresses and Use inline AutoComplete for Windows Explorer options.
- Click Apply and then click the OK button to save your changes and exit the dialog box.
- Restart your PC and press the F8 key while your system is booting to enter the Startup menu.
- Next, select the Command Prompt Only option and press the Enter key.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands and press Enter after each command to run them:
- cd \windows
- deltree downlo~1
- deltree tempor~1
- deltree history
- deltree cookies
Note: If prompted, press the Y key to confirm deletion.
- Restart your PC in the Normal mode.
- Double-click on the Internet Explorer icon.
- Go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options
- Next, in the Internet Options window, select Advanced.
- Next, select the check boxes before Use inline AutoComplete for Web addresses and Use inline AutoComplete for Windows Explorer.
- Finally, click the Apply button and then click OK.
Is wininet.dll a system threat?
The genuine wininet.dll is a safe file and is required by internet related software to function properly.
The rogue wininet.dll is recorded to be associated with the following threats:
Trojan.Patched.Gen [PC Tools]
Trojan.Win32.Patched.er [Kaspersky Lab]
Trojan.Win32.Patched.fa [Kaspersky Lab]
Trojan.Win32.Patched.fd [Kaspersky Lab]
Trojan.Win32.Patched.fn [Kaspersky Lab]
Trojan.Win32.Patched.oe [Kaspersky Lab]
Win32.PatchWinininet.A [PC Tools]
How to prevent your system from malicious files, such as wininet.dll
The key to keeping your system safe from malicious wininet.dll is to prevent malware associated with this file from entering your system. To keep your system secure from various system threats, incorporate the following tips:
- Install advanced antimalware tools Keep your system secure by installing robust antimalware tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease on your PC. Also, schedule regular malware scans on your PC and keep your protective gear updated with the latest virus definitions.
- Keep your Operating System updated Ensure that you regularly update your operating system with the latest hotfixes, security patches and security updates. This helps in fixing any security holes if present in your operating system.
- Do not download dubious software Always verify the software you are downloading is genuine. A large number of software that is available for download on Internet is laced with malicious files. For instance, the rogue wininet.dll is installed on your system when you download malicious programs, such as XPAntivirus, XpyBurner, System Antivirus 2008, and Ultimate Antivirus 2008.