Error code 1722 On Windows 2003, Windows 2000 and Windows XP Computers
Error code 1722 is generated in the following scenario:
- A program running on your Windows 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP computer tries to access the NetUserGetLocalGroup function.
- The function is used to query the Active Directory of another domain.
- The user name is provided in the Domain_Name/User_Name format.
When the error occurs, the following message is displayed on your computer screen:
A system error has occurred: 1722
Note: This error is not generated if the domain name is not included with the user name. This means that your query is successful, if you use the User_Name format and not the Domain_Name/User_Name format.
Cause of the Error
This error is generated when your Windows 2003, 2000 or XP computer, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled.
In this case, if you use the Domain_Name/User_Name format to query the NetUserGetLocalGroups function, the Domain_Name part should be a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN). This means that if the FQDN of the domain you are trying to access is YourDomian.xyz.com, then for your query to succeed, you must use YourDomian.xyz.com/User_Name. Your query will fail if you use the YourDomain/User_Name format.
To work around this problem and resolve error code 1722, perform the following steps to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP:
- Open Control Panel from Start menu.
- Click the Network Connections and Internet Connections link.
- Click the Network Connections link.
- Double-click the Local Area Connections icon that you need to configure.
- Double-click the Properties button.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then click the Properties button.
- Click the Advanced button.
- On the WINS tab, select the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP button and then click the OK button.
- Click OK again and then click the Close button to exit the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
To resolve this issue, do the following based on your operating system:
- On Windows 2003, obtain and install Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
- On Windows 2000 install Windows 2000 install Windows Server 2000 Service Pack (SP4) Rollup 1.
Error Code 1722 May Occur On Microsoft FrontPage 97 Standard Edition and Microsoft FrontPage 1.1
The following error message may be displayed on your Windows computer when you try to uninstall FrontPage server extension for the Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS):
Unable to read version number for Microsoft Internet Information Server: Error code 1722
Cause Of the Error
The following service was not running on the Microsoft IIS when you attempted to uninstall the FrontPage Server Extensions:
- The World Wide Web services
Ensure that the Microsoft Internet Information Server is running before you start uninstalling. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Open the Microsoft Internet Server icon group.
- Double-click on the Internet Service Manager.
- Start the World Wide Web service.
Several error messages and error codes are also generated if there is a problem in your Windows registry or your computer is infected with a virus or spyware program. This is the reason why it is recommended that you regularly use a reliable and efficient registry tool, such as RegServe to regularly clean your registry and keep it error free. You must also use antispyware tools, such as Spyware Cease and antivirus tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus to keep your PC free from malicious and infected files and programs.