The DLL file imm32.dll is used by the Microsoft Windows Input Method Manager (IMM) program.
In this article we will discuss instances of imm32.dll errors that occur in different versions of Windows operating systems.
Imm32.dll error in Windows Vista
After upgrading to Vista Business, when you try to open Microsoft Excel 2007, you may receive the following error:
“The procedure entry point ImmGetRegisterWordStyleA could not be located in the dynamic library IMM32.dll.”
To fix the imm32.dll error, run the Detect and Repair tool from Uninstall and Change a Program utility in Windows Vista. To achieve this, you need to perform the following steps:
Note: Before proceeding with the below steps, ensure you have the Microsoft Office 2007 installation disc with you. You may need to copy some files, if they are corrupt or damaged beyond repair.
- Click Start and then select Run.
- Next, type the appwiz.cpl command.
- Click Continue in the User Account Control message box.
- In the Uninstall and Change a Program window that is displayed, locate and select Microsoft Office 2007 Edition.
- Next, click the Change button.
- Now, select the Repair option and then click Continue.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to repair the damaged files.
Imm32.dll issue in Windows XP
When you try to print some data in the PDF format from the Internet Explorer on a Windows XP computer (Windows XP Professional or a Home Edition), you may find that main menu of the Internet Explorer disappears.
This problem may also occur in any application that uses the IMM (Input Method Manager) functions.
Cause of the Error
The above issue occurs due to an access violation in the Imm32.dll file.
Microsoft has released a hotfix for this specific problem. Apply the hotfix only on the computers that are encountering this specific problem. If you are facing the above problem, submit a request for the hotfix on the Microsoft website.
Note: To apply the hotfix, you must have Windows XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) or a later service pack installed on the system.
Imm32.dll issue when running Microsoft Office 2000 Setup
When you run Microsoft Office 2000 setup, no other dialog box appears except the Windows Installer progress dialog box. If you try to run setup again, after the setup is finished, you briefly see a Windows Installer dialog box; however the Maintenance mode dialog box, which is used to make any maintenance selections, is inaccessible.
Also, when you try to start any Office programs, such as MS-Word, a Windows Installer dialog box appears for a brief time and displays the â€œPreparing to installâ€¦â€ message, but the selected Office program fails to start.
Cause of the Error
The above error occurs, when the imm32.dll file is either missing or is incompatible.
To resolve the imm32.dll error, first uninstall Office from your computer and then replace the Imm32.dll file with the original Microsoft Windows version, and rerun the Office setup.
Common Causes of imm32.dll errors
The majority of imm32.dll errors and other DLL errors occur due to the following reasons:
- Malware Infection â€“ To prevent DLL errors, such as imm32.dll errors due to a malware infection, install reliable and the latest security tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease on your computer.
- Corrupt Registry â€“ Maintain a healthy and clean registry to ensure that registry stores only correct information. To keep your registry clean, perform regular registry scans, using reliable registry cleaning utility, such as RegServe. You can perform custom registry scans using RegServe to detect and fix DLL errors.