Do you become frustrated when your password is not saved in Outlook or in Outlook Express?Â You keep on checking the Save Password box but your password is still not retained the next time you go to login.
There are various ways to get around this problem.Â One of the ways to solve this issue is to tweak the registry.Â The tweak outlined here will work for Windows XP based computers only.
Any change you make to the registry is permanent without a back-up, so a good idea is to always create a back-up before implementing any change to your registry.
Again, this is a tweak for Windows XP based computers.
- First, exit all programs.
- Point your mouse towards Start and click Run.Â Enter regedit in the box that appears.Â Another box will come up.Â This is the registry.
- You should see HKEY_CURRENT_USER on the left side of the box.Â Click the little cross to expand this folder.
- Now look for the Software folder.Â Again, expand the folder.
- Find the Microsoft folder and expand.Â
- Go to the Protected Storage System Provider folder.
- Near the upper left hand corner of the box you will see the Edit button.
- Click Permissions.
- Next, click on the registry key for the user who is currently logged on to the machine.Â Double check that the permissions for Read and Full Control are both set to Allow.
- Now that youâ€™ve done that, click on Advanced.
- Check that the user who is logged on is selected.Â Verify that Permissions is set to Full Control.Â This Key and Subkeys should be listed under Apply.
- Select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
- Click Apply.Â At the prompt, click Yes to continue.
- Double click OK.
- Expand the Protected Storage System Provider key by double clicking.Â Â Â
- Now click on the user subkey folder directly under the Protected Storage System Provider key.Â
- Click Delete on the Edit menu.Â A warning box will pop up.Â Click Yes.
- Exit the registry and reboot your computer.
Please note that there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key for each identity that you may have.Â All the user subkeys folders that are under the Protected Storage System Provider key must be deleted to resolve this issue for all the identities that you may have.