Do You Need to Uninstall LimeWire?
LimeWire is a Java-based, peer-to-peer file sharing client that works using the Gnutella network. It is a freeware and is released under the GNU General Public License. You may upgrade to LimeWire Pro by paying a small fee. Just like many other freeware applications, LimeWire is also bundled with adware programs such as LimeShop and BonziBuddy that deliver ads to your PC, and also monitor your online buying activity. Let’s now see how to get rid of the LimeWire program and software programs bundled with it.
Different Methods to Uninstall LimeWire and Other Bundled Programs
You can remove LimeWire from your XP computer using the Add or Remove Programs utility by performing the steps listed below.
- Select Start and then select Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, select Add or Remove Programs option.
- Next, scroll through the Currently installed programs list, and select the LimeWire option.
- Select the Change/Remove button and follow the screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
- Finally, restart your PC to complete the uninstallation.
Many earlier versions of LimeWire ran independently and did not make any entry in the Add or Remove Programs list. To remove these LimeWire versions, perform the following actions:
- Open Start menu and select Search.
- In the Search Results window that opens, type LimeWire in the All or part of the file name box and select the Search button.
- Right-click all the results and select Delete to remove these files and folders from your computer.
You may also remove LimeWire from the LimeWire folder. For this:
- Open the LimeWire folder and then open the UninstallerData folder within it.
- Search for a file with the word Uninstall in its name-for instance, Uninstall LimeWire.
- Double-click on this file to launch the program uninstaller.
- Follow the screen instruction to complete the uninstallation.
LimeWire also downloads and installs the LimeShop program on your system, which is not removed by any of the above steps. To remove LimeShop you may first check to see if it is in the Currently installed programs list of the Add or Remove Programs utility. If it is there, then uninstall the program from here. Otherwise, follow the steps listed below:
- If you still have LimeWire running on your computer, then close the application before proceeding.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Program Files folder.
- Right-click the LimeShop folder and select Delete.
- Finally, select Yes to confirm your decision.
In case LimeShop is not installed in its default folder, you can search for the folder using the Search utility and then delete the folder.
LimeWire may also install other adware and spyware programs such as BonziBuddy on your computer. To get rid of these programs, it is recommended that you use an efficient and updated antivirus and antispyware program. These programs will scan your entire system for any malicious programs or files and enable you to get rid of them. Programs such as LimeWire also add many hidden entries within the registry. You can use a reliable registry cleaner such as RegServe to scan the registry for these malicious entries and remove them.
Spyware programs when installed on your computer can create havoc on your system. Your private information may be transmitted to unknown external sources and many other malicious programs may get downloaded to the computer. You can prevent these programs from downloading to your system by using a good antivirus and antispyware program. You must always keep your PC updated with the latest security releases and patches, and keep your registry free from unwanted and obsolete information. All these activities together will ensure that you maintain an efficient and reliable computer.