Are you a fan of the classic Windows look? If you prefer the Windows classic logon view to the XP Welcome screen, this registry tweak is just right for you. You have to be on a Windows XP based machine for this tweak to work.
You should also note that this process involves registry modification. We recommend that you create a back-up of your current registry settings so that you can revert back to them in case any issues arise.
Follow the instructions below to specify whether the Welcome screen logon or the Classic logon will appear.
- Click Start. Go to Run. Enter regedit.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE found on the left side of the registry editor. Expand the folder by clicking on the cross icon on the left.
- Next, go to the SOFTWARE folder. Expand this folder.
- Look for and expand the Microsoft folder.
- Go to Windows NT.
- After expanding Windows NT, go to CurrentVersion.
- Expanding CurrentVersion will take you to Winlogon.
- Look at the right hand side of the registry editor. Check if LogonType is a listed value name. If the value is listed, proceed to step nine. If LogonType is not listed, follow the steps below to create the value.
- Right click on the right hand side of the registry editor.
- Select New and then select DWORD.
- Rename the new value LogonType. You can also rename the new DWORD value by right clicking on it and selecting Rename.