What is csrcs.exe?
Csrcs.exe is a malicious process that is known to be associated with a number of security threats. This process loads automatically when you load your system and connects to a remote Internet Relay Chat (IRC) server.
Csrcs.exe â€“ File Information
By default, the csrcs.exe file is located in the C\Windows\System32 folder. The most common size of this file is 49,152 bytes. You may also find the file in 503,426, 453,788, 510,270, 419,942, 453,648, 41,936, 454,656, 496,756, and 484,420 byte sizes.
Csrcs.exe Virus Information
The malicious csrcs.exe is recorded to perform the following behaviors:
- Registers a DLL file
- Creates new processes
- Deletes existing processes
- Accesses the data stored in Address and Phone books
- Disables the Windows File Protection System
- Modifies the registry to load automatically at system startup
Csrcs.exe is found to be associated with the following malware:
Csrcs.exe is recorded to also use the following filenames:
How to get rid of csrcs.exe
If you find csrcs.exe running on your system, it is imperative that you get rid of this malicious process.
You can see that this malicious process adds quite a lot of files to your PC and also makes changes to the system configuration by registering malicious DLLs. This is why the best way to remove csrcs.exe and its associated malware is by scanning your entire system using robust antimalware tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease.
The following error may appear when you start your system:
â€œWindows cannot find ‘csrcs.exe’ make sure you typed the name correctlyâ€
Cause of the Error
The error appears when your start your PC after performing a virus scan. The error generally happens because your protective tool is unable to delete all csrcs.exe entries in the registry. The leftover csrcs.exe entries cause the above error to appear at system startup.
To fix the error, first remove the csrcs.exe from your startup programs. To achieve this, perform the steps listed below:
- Go to Start and select Run.
- In the Open box, type msconfig and press Enter
- Next, click the Processes tab in System Configuration Utility dialog box.
- Clear the checkbox before csrcs.exe or csrcs.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Restart the PC when prompted.
Next, delete the leftover csrcs.exe entries in the registry. To achieve this, perform the following steps:
- Click Start and then Run.
- Type regedit in the Open box and then press Enter to open the Registry Editor window.
- Navigate to the following registry locations and delete any value that refers to the csrcs.exe file:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run
- Next, navigate to the following registry location
- Check the value of this key in the right-pane of the Registry Editor Window. If you find the value as explorer.exe csrcs.exe, click it and remove the csrcs.exe part (only delete the csrcs.exe part and leave explorer.exe as it is)
- Restart your computer.
To ensure complete removal of all information related to the csrcs.exe malicious process in the registry, you may choose to perform a thorough registry scan and cleanup using an advanced registry clean up tool, such as RegServe.