Would you like to keep your computer screen clutter free?Â If you consider tool tips that appear when your mouse moves over certain items as clutter, then this may be a good registry tweak for you.Â If you are on Windows XP, this tweak will help you enable or disable tool tip displays.
Remember to back-up your registry first.Â You should always create a back-up file so that you have the means to restore your registry in case any issues crop up.
To do this tweak you must:
- Go to Start and click Run.Â Enter regedit.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.Â This can be found on the left hand side of your registry editor.
- Next, go to the Software folder.Â Expand this.Â This will take you to the Microsoft folder.
- Expand the Microsoft folder.Â Once youâ€™ve done this, go to Windows.Â Expand this folder.
- After you have expanded Windows, go to CurrentVersion.Â You should also expand this.
- Look for the Explorer folder. Expand Explorer and look for the Advanced folder.
- Now look at the right hand side of your registry.Â Check and see if ShowInfoTip is present.Â If the value is present, proceed to step 8. If the value is not listed, perform the steps below:
- Double click on ShowInfoTip.Â A new box will pop up.Â Change the value to 0 if you want ShowInfoTip disabled and 1 if you want ShowInfoTip enabled.
- Exit the registry and reboot.
(1) Right click on the right hand side of your registry.
(2) Select New and then select DWORD.
(3) Rename the DWORD value that will come up as ShowInfoTip.Â You can also right click on the new DWORD value that you have created and select Rename to change the new value to ShowInfoTip.