Many computer users find pop-up balloon notifications slightly irritating. If you are one of these users, you can use this Windows XP registry tweak to get rid of them.
Start by creating a back-up of your registry. This will allow you to successfully reinstall your previous registry settings should problems occur.
The procedure is quite easy to follow.
1. First, click on Start. Go to Run and enter regedit.
2. The Registry Editor will come up.
3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Clicking on the cross on the left will expand the folder.
4. Go to the Software folder and expand.
5. Under the Software folder, you should be able to find Microsoft.
6. Now go to the Windows folder and expand.
7. You will now be able to see the CurrentVersion folder. Expand the folder and go to Explorer.
8. Once youâ€™re inside Explorer, click on Advanced.
9. Now right click on the right side pane of the box. Select New and then select DWORD. Rename the value EnableBalloonTips.
10. Now double click on EnableBalloonTips. A new box will pop up. Enter 0.
11. Exit the registry and reboot.
Now that youâ€™ve done this tweak, you won’t have to worry about annoying notification balloons anymore.