Did you know that you can customize the logon box message of your Windows computer? If you’d like to try this out, remember that this registry tweak applies to Windows XP only. You should also remember that there are certain risks associated with registry edits, and you should always create a back-up before making any changes to your registry.
These are the steps to follow.
- Click Start. Go to Run. Type in regedit and press OK.
- Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. You can find this folder on the left side of the box.
- Now go to the SOFTWARE folder and expand.
- You should now be able to find Microsoft. Expand Microsoft too.
- Look for Windows NT. Expand this folder.
- Now look for CurrentVersion. Expand this folder to take you to Winlogon.
- Once you’re at Winlogon, look at the right hand side of the box.
Do you see LogonPrompt there? If you do, go to step eight. If you don’t, follow the instructions immediately below to create the LogonPrompt value.
- Right click on the white part of the right side pane.
- Select New and then select String Value.
- Rename the new String Value LogonPrompt. You can also use the Rename choice you will see when you right click on the new string value.
- Double click on LogonPrompt. A new box will pop up.
- Enter the text of your message in the value data field.
- Exit the registry and reboot.