The Google Redirect Virus is one of the latest malware that has become a serious threat to confidential data stored on computer systems. The purpose of this article is to inform computer users on what the Google Redirect Virus is, its impact, and provide a comprehensive Google Redirect Virus solution and removal steps.
In this article, we will touch upon the following topics:
- What is the Google Redirect Virus
- How to Identify if your computer is infected with the Google Redirect Virus
- Impact of the Google Redirect Virus
- Google Redirect Virus removal procedure
- How to protect your computer from the Google Redirect Virus and other malware
Google Redirect Virus â€“ An Introduction
The Google Redirect Virus is a malware designed by online criminals with the purpose of tricking computer users into online frauds or purchasing fake software. Hackers can also use this malware to steal confidential data, such as online banking details, credit card numbers, email IDâ€™s, and passwords stored on your computer for unscrupulous activities.
Generally, the Google Redirect Virus enters a computer when a user visits websites that promote fake online scanners. When a user clicks on a fake online scanner, the trojan is downloaded on the computer. The malware may also sneak into a computer when a user installs software to which this malware is secretly attached. Once installed, the trojan activates itself and starts its malicious operations.
The Google Redirect Virus works by hijacking Google search results using either of the two methods below:
- When you type a query on Google, the virus will display a normal search result page. However, when you click on any of the links you will be forwarded to an altogether different website and not to one that you intended to visit. Instead you will be forwarded to a rogue website that promotes malware or online scams.
- When you type a query on Google, the virus completely redirects search results to rogue websites or web pages that have no relation to your search string.
Identifying Google Redirect Virus Infection
The most noticeable indication of the Google Redirect Virus infection is the hijacking of your Google search results. Other indications of the infection include:
- Your computer is working painstakingly slow or hangs often without any reason.
- Random errors have abruptly started appearing on your PC.
- You are unable to run or install any software on the system.
If you notice any of the above symptoms on your computer then chances are that it is infected with the Google Redirect Virus. It is important to understand that your PC can become infected with this malware even when you have a security software installed. This may happen due to any of the follwing three reasons:
- Your security software is incapable of identifying and removing spyware.
- Your security software has no information of the Google Redirect Virus in its database and thus cannot identify and remove the infection.
- Your security software supports removing spyware, including the Google Redirect Virus, but is out of date and thus is unable to identify and remove latest threats.
The Impact of the Google Redirect Virus
Most noticeably, the virus redirects your Google search results making it impossible for you to perform any kind of online search. However, this is not the only way in which the Google Redirect Virus affects your computer.
The virus can consume huge amounts of system resourcesâ€”even up to 100%â€”slowing your computer and causing it to freeze often.
Additionally, the Google Redirect Virus displays frequent pop-up ads that not only are a nuisance, but also prevent you from working on your computer.
Further, the virus can open a secret doorway inside your computer providing other malware programs and hackers easy access to your system and the data stored on it.
Google Redirect Virus Removal
To ensure that you can use your search engine properly and to safeguard your PC from other malware attacks, it is imperative that you take proper corrective measures to remove this malware from your system.
The best way to go about this is to use a Redirect Virus Removal Tool that has the ability to identify and remove all the traces of Google Redirect Virus.
It is important to understand that one should not attempt to remove this malware program manually. Malicious programs, such as the Google Redirect Virus, hide deep in your system making manual removal tough. Another thing that goes against manual Google Redirect Virus removal is that the process involves deleting registry entries. The slightest mistake while editing the Windows registry can prove costly and may even render your system useless.
To sum up, it is always recommended that you remove the Google Redirect Virus using reliable methods and/or software.
Tips on Preventing Google Redirect Virus Infection
When it comes to computer security, keep in mind that it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Computer security cannot be solely achieved by installing a powerful security software, but involves many other preventative tasks.
Listed below are some essential tips that will help you protect your computer from the Google Redirect Virus and other harmful programs:
- Install a reliable security software and update it regularly with the latest virus definitions and security updates.
- Schedule regular malware scans on your computer.
- Stay away from dubious websites.
- Read the End User License Agreement (EULA) before installing any new software on your computer.
- Do not use peer-to-peer (P2P) sharing applications. If you must use P2P sharing applications then at the very least scan all files for infection that you download from such applications.
- Scan any external device for infections that you attach to your computer.
The Google Redirect Virus can prevent you from performing online searches and poses a grave threat to your confidential data. It is recommended that you quickly and completely remove the Google Redirect Virus if you find your PC is infected, and then take the necessary precautionary measures to prevent re-infection.