The following error message may be displayed on your computer screen when you try to activate your Windows Vista operating system.
Activation Error: Code 0x8007232b DNS Name does not exist
Cause of the Error
This error message is displayed if Windows Vista is installed using volume-licensed media.
You can use one of the following methods to resolve this error.
Method 1: Configure a KMS Service on the network
Key Management Service (KMS) is used to locally establish activation services at your premises. After you have setup KMS, you can activate all your Vista client and server computers by connecting to this service.
Note: All PCs activated using KMS need to be reactivated every six months using the service.
If you have more than 25 Windows Vista computers added to your computer network, you may install KMS to resolve the error message.
To do this, on your network first configure a computer that will host the KMS service and then publish the settings for the Domain Name System (DNS).
Method 2: Use MAK
A Multiple Activation Key (MAK) is also a volume license key that you can use to activate your Windows server and client computers by connecting them once to the Microsoft activation server. You need not connect to the Microsoft server after your computers are activated.
You can use MAK Independent Activation and MAK Proxy Activation methods to activate the computer. While MAK Independent Activation requires each computer to be activated individually, MAK Proxy Activation enables you to activate multiple computers at the same time.
To resolve the error code 0x8007232b problem, you may need to change your product key to MAK and then use this MAK key to activate Windows Vista computers.
Method 3: Use the license key
Use the license key under the following conditions:
- You have less then 25 Windows Vista computers on the network and thus you cannot install KMK service.
- You do not have MAK.
To install the license key, perform the following steps:
- Open the Microsoft eOpen Website.
- Log on using your Windows Live ID-if you have a Hotmail ID, you can use it to log on to the Web site.
- Click Agreement Summary and then add the authorization number in the Authorization number box.
- Enter the license number in the License number box.
- Next, click Add to view.
- Now click your license number to open the License Detail page.
- On this page, note the displayed license key.
- Finally, use this license key to activate your Windows Vista operating system.