When you try to upgrade software, such BlackBerry Desktop Manager, Itunes, or PalmOne, you may receive the following error:
“Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\windows\installer\<Program Name>.msi”.
To resolve the uninstall error 1316, uninstall the previous version of the software using the Add or Remove Programs utility.
If you are not able to uninstall the software through the Add or Remove Programs utility, download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and use it to remove the installation files of the previous version of software.
Uninstall the software using the Add or Remove Programs Utility
To uninstall software using Add or Remove Programs utility, perform the following
Note: The steps listed below are for Windows XP computer. If you use a different version of Windows, the steps may differ slightly.
- Click Start and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs to open its corresponding window.
- Next, locate and select the software you need to remove, and click Remove.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to uninstall the software.
If you are unable to uninstall the software using this method, or the software does not appear in the Add or Remove Programs list, follow the steps given in the next section.
Uninstall the software using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
Note: To run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, you must be logged in as an Administrator.
- Download the Windows Installer Cleanup utility from Microsoft Support website and save the file msicuu2 on your desktop.
- Next, double-click msicuu2 and then click Run to initiate installation of the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
- Follow the prompts that appear in the Windows Installer Clean Up Setup window and click the Finish button when installation is complete.
- Next, click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Install Clean Up to launch the utility.
- Locate and select the software you wish to remove in the Windows Installer Clean Up dialog box. If more than one instances of the software are listed, select all of them.
- Next, click the Remove button.
- A warning box will appear, click OK to uninstall the software.
- After uninstallation is complete, click the Exit button to close the Windows Installer Clean up dialog box.
It is important to note that Windows Installer Cleanup Utility does not remove the actual program but removes the installation files to enable you to perform upgradation, installation, or unisntallation of the software. After you have completely removed the installation files of the software, install the newer version of the software.
To prevent occurrence of errors when you uninstall software and to ensure complete removal of software and programs, it is recommended that you either use the built-in Add or Remove Programs utility or a reliable third-party uninstaller tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller. Also, regularly clean your registry, using an efficient registry cleaning utility, such as RegServe to remove entries related to programs or software that you uninstall.