What is uncdms.dll?
Uncdms.dll is a dynamic link library (dll) file which is part of the Windows Desktop Search software for Windows XP. With the release of Windows Vista and 7, it has been branded as Windows Search by Microsoft.
What are the errors generated by uncdmss.dll?
The error related to uncdms.dll is displayed when the system is started. The errors that pop up on the screen are:
Windowssearch.exe â€“ cannot find the component. This application has failed to start because uncdms.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.â€
â€œThe file uncdms.dll is missing.â€
What are the Operating Systems affected because of the uncdms.dll error?
Windows Desktop Search was designed for Windows XP, so the OSs affected are all 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows XP. Windows 7 and Vista have the Windows Search software, which also includes the uncdms.dll file but has no known issues like windows XP.
How to remove the uncdms.dll error from the system
Windows Desktop Search is an indexed desktop search application released by Microsoft for the Windows OS. This software is used to search mails, folders, files, photos, and music instantly, and this is achieved by doing a full text index of the system. Windows Desktop Search would keep track of each change in the system. The uncdms.dll error occurs when the search files are corrupted due to a malware or an installed program. To fix the error, follow these methods:
1) Check for any Malware/Spyware infections
2) System Restore
3) Uninstall and Reinstall the Windows Desktop Search
MethodÂ 1 – Checking for any Malware/Spyware infections
You can run your antivirus and antispyware programs to check for any infections due to recent online activity. Once the infections are fixed or if there are no infections, then follow the next method.
Method 2 – System Restore
This method helps choose a date when Windows Desktop Search was working fine.
- Click on Start and choose All Programs
- Browse to System Tools and click on System Restore
- From the list, choose a date when the system was free of the uncfms.dll error and click Next
System Restore will apply the settings of the chosen date and finally restart the system. Now check for the uncdms.dll error and if it still appears, follow the next method.
Method 3 – Uninstall and Reinstall Windows Desktop Search
To uninstall Windows Desktop Search, follow these steps:
- Click on Start choose Control Panel
- Click on Add or Remove programs
- Choose Windows Desktop Search from the list of programs
- Choose Remove or Uninstall
- Close all windows and restart the system
- Once the system restarts, go the Microsoft site and download Windows Desktop Search
- Double click the download and follow the instructions to install
- Once done, let it index your files
This will solve the problem with uncdms.dll completely. You can also use Perfect Uninstaller to remove Windows Desktop Search as it helps in uninstalling every component of the search software from the system.