When you start Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition or FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition, you may encounter one or both of the following error messages:
FPECOM Runtime error 5.
Invalid procedure call or argument.
Runtime error 440.
Cause of the Error
The above error occurs if the following conditions hold true:
- You have installed the Microsoft bCentral Commerce Manager Add-in for Microsoft FrontPage
- The bCentral Commerce Manager Add-in registry entry is damaged.
To resolve the above error, you need to complete the following two tasks:
- Delete the add-in registry entry
- Remove the bCentral Commerce Manager Add-in from your computer
- Delete the registry entry of bCentral Commerce Manager Add-in
Warning: The following steps require you to edit the registry. Perform the steps illustrated below only if you are comfortable in editing registry. Also, perform the steps as they are shown. Modifying the registry incorrectly can cause serious problems on your computer. Ensure that you back up the registry before editing it. You can back up the registry manually or by using a registry maintenance tool, such as RegServe to perform the task.
Task 1 â€“ Delete the add-in registry entry
- Click Start and select Run.
- Type regedit in the Open box and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Next, locate and select the following registry key
- Click the Edit menu of the Registry Editor and select Delete.
- Click Yes, if you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
- Next, click the File menu and select Exit to close the Registry Editor window.
- Restart your computer.
- Start Microsoft FrontPage.
At this point, if you do not receive the error message, jump to Task 2. In case you receive the error message on starting Microsoft FrontPage, perform the step illustrated below and then move to Task 2.
- Click Start and then select Run.
- Type regedit and click the OK button.
- Locate and click the following registry key in Registry Editor:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\fpecomm
- Click the Edit menu and then click Delete.
- Click Yes, when prompted to confirm deletion of this registry entry.
- Next, click the File menu and then click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
- Reboot your computer.
Task 2 â€“ Remove the bCentral Commerce Manager Add-in from your computer
- Click Start and then click the Control Panel utility.
- Next, click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click bCentral Commerce Manager Add-In for Microsoft FrontPage in the Currently installed programs list and then click Remove.
- Click Yes, if prompted to confirm the removal.
As you can see, you may encounter runtime errors if your entries stored in your registry are damaged or corrupt. To prevent this, it is recommended that you regularly clean your Windows registry, using an efficient registry cleaner, such as RegServe.
In addition to a damaged registry, malware infection is another major cause of runtime errors. To prevent runtime errors that may occur due to malware infection, install robust antimalware tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease on your computer. Schedule regular malware scans and keep your protective software up-to-date with the latest malware definitions and security updates to ensure your computerâ€™s security is never breached.