What is Psapi.dll?
The file psapi.dll (Process Status Helper Library) stores codes that are used by various Windows applications to collect information about processes or device drivers running on a Windows computer.
Is Psapi.dll a Safe File?
Yes, psapi.dll is a safe file and is not recorded to be a security threat.
Is it Safe to Remove Psapi.dll?
No, it is not recommended that you remove this file from the system. The psapi.dll file is required by Windows to function correctly. If you remove this file, your system may become unstable and you may receive various errors.
Solution to Smartbridge Psapi.dll Error after Installing Internet Explorer 7
After you install Internet Explorer 7 on a Windows XP computer that is equipped with a DSL connection and connection management software, such as DSL Checkup Centre, you may receive the following error message each time you start your computer.
â€œProcedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library. PSAPI.DLLâ€
Cause of the Error
The above psapi.dll error is generated because the Smartbridge software is referring to an incorrect version of the psapi.dll file.
To fix the Smartbridge psapi.dll issue, locate and rename all the copies of psapi.dll, except the one that is located in C:\Windows\System32 folder.
To achieve this, perform the following steps:
- Click Start and then click Search.
- Next, click All files and folders.
- Type, psapi.dll in the All or part of the file name box.
- Next, select Local Hard Drives from the Look in drop-down list.
- Click on More Advanced options and select the Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders options.
- Click the View menu of Search Results window and select Details.
- Click the Search button. All the instances of psapi.dll files will appear in the right-pane. The path of each psapi.dll will be displayed next to its name.
- Rename all found copies of psapi.dll except the one that is located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. To rename a psapi.dll file, perform the following steps:
- Right-click the psapi.dll file you need to rename.
- Click Rename and rename the file.
- Restart your computer after you have renamed all copies of the psapi.dll file except the one that is located in your System folder.
The psapi.dll file is missing from your computer â€“ What should you do?
If for some reasons the psapi.dll file is missing from your computer, download a fresh copy of the psapi.dll file from a reliable and trustworthy online free DLL Directory. Save the file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Next, perform the following steps to register psapi.dll:
- Click Start and select Run.
- In the Run box, type regsvr32 psapi.dll and press Enter.
One common cause of missing DLLs is malware infection. Malware programs, such as viruses and trojans, if present on your computer may delete or alter the DLL files and cause various errors. To prevent DLL errors from occurring due to malware infection, install robust and top-rated antimalware suites, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease on your PC.
Another common cause of DLL errors, such as the psapi.dll error, is a damaged or corrupt registry. You must clean your registry regularly to avoid DLL errors from occurring due to registry issues. To clean your registry, you may perform regular registry scans using advanced and reliable registry cleaning software, such as RegServe.