Purpose of nmindexstoresvr.exe
Nmindexstoresvr.exe (Nero Media Index Store Server) is a background task that is used in all versions of Nero from Nero 7 onwards. The nmindexstoresvr.exe process is part of the Nero Scout utility and its main purpose is to help Nero Scout utility catalog all the media files on your computer.
By default, this file is located in a subfolder of C:\Program Files\Common Files.
Nmindexstoresvr.exe – Startup Information
By default, the nmindexstoresvr.exe process loads automatically every time you start your computer. However, nmindexstoresvr.exe is not an essential process and if you wish, you can safely remove this program from your startup items list.
Steps to disable nmindexstoresvr.exe at system startup
To remove nmindexstoresvr.exe from your startup items list perform the following steps:
- Go to Start and select the Run command.
- In the Open box, type msconfig and click the OK button to open the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
- Next, click Startup.
- Next, clear the nmindexstoresvr.exe or Nero Scout checkbox.
- Click Apply to save your changes and then click OK to exit the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Issues with the nmindexstoresvr.exe process
The following two issues are reported with the nmindexstoresvr.exe process
- Nmindexstoresvr.exe high CPU consumption One major drawback of nmindexstoresvr.exe process is that it consumes high amount of system resources and can significantly slow your PCâ€™s performance. Nmindexstoresvr.exe can at times use up to 120 MB of memory and 85%-100% of your CPU resources. It is no surprise that this process often causes system to slow down or freeze up.
- Nmindexstoresvr.exe interferes with other Nero tasks At times, nmindexstoresvr.exe is known interfere with Nero itself and may prevent users from creating CDs or from creating backups with NeroBackitUp or any other software that backs up the Outlook Express.
Steps to Disable Nero Scout
If you are experiencing problems with the nmindexstoresvr.exe process, we recommend that you disable Nero Scout on your computer. To achieve this, complete the following two tasks:
- Disable Nero Scout from the system tray.
- Set Nero Media Indexing Service to manual.
Disable Nero Scout from System tray
- Right-click the Nero Scout icon in your system tray.
- Click Options and clear the checkbox before Enable Nero Scout.
- Restart your computer.
Set Nero Media Indexing Service to manual
- Open Start menu and then click the Run command.
- In the Open box, type services.msc and press Enter.
- In the right-pane of the Services window, locate and double-click Nero Media Indexing.
- Next, under the General tab, select Manual from the Startup type drop down list.
- Next, click Apply to save your changes and then click OK.
Nmindexstoresvr.exe â€“ can you trust this file?
Nmindexstoresvr.exe is a safe file and is not known to be associated with any malware.
However, many writers of the malware programs, such as virus, worm, adware, and spyware deliberately give their processes same name as legitimate running processes. If you suspect an unsolicited process is running on your system, immediately perform a malware scan of your entire system, using reliable and advanced security software, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease to get rid of the rouge process and its associated malware.
Further, it is recommended that you also run a registry scan using advanced registry cleaning tool, such as RegServe to ensure that the rogue process has not corrupted your system registry.