In this article, we will discuss the msvcp60.dll error that you may receive when you try to start any of the following Microsoft games:
- Microsoft Crimson Skies
- Microsoft Age of Mythology
- Microsoft Age of Mythology: The Titans
- Microsoft Impossible Creatures
When you start any of the above Microsoft games you may receive the following msvcp60.dll error message:
â€œERROR starting program the MSVCP60.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.dll:_lc_collate_cpâ€
Cause of the Error
This msvcp60.dll error occurs when any of the conditions mentioned below hold true:
- You try to run a newly installed program without restarting your computer.
- The Windows Libraries Updates is not installed.
- The msvcp60.dll file on your computer is damaged or missing.
To repair the msvcp60.dll error, use the following methods in the sequence they appear.
Note: The resolution steps listed in this article are for Windows 98.
Method 1 â€“ Extract a new copy of the msvcp60.dll
To fix the error, extract a new copy of the msvcp60.dll file from the original Microsoft Windows Installation disk to the C:\Windows\System folder.
Note: Here C: refers to the drive where Windows is installed. If you have installed Windows in a different drive (for example D:), then replace C with that letter drive. Also, ensure that you have the Windows 98 installation disk in the drive.
- Go to Start and click Run.
- In the Open box, type sfc and click the OK button.
- Next, click Extract one file from the installation disk.
- Next, in the text box, type msvcrt.dll, and click Start.
- Next, click the OK button and then follow the onscreen instructions to back up the existing file before you overwrite it.
- If prompted, press Yes to restart the computer.
Method 2 â€“ Copy the msvcp60.dll file from the Game CD
- Insert your game CD in your CD-ROM drive.
- Click Start, select Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
- In the Windows Explorer window, navigate to your game CD..
- Next, double-click the game folder to view its files.
- Locate and right-click the msvcp60.dll file and select Copy.
- Next, browse to Windows\System folder.
- Right-click on an empty area and select Paste.
- When prompted, select Yes to overwrite the file.
- Finally, restart your PC.
Method 3 â€“ Download and install the Windows Libraries Update.
To download and install the Windows Libraries Update for Windows 98, visit the Microsoft website. Next, search the Windows Libraries Update and install the Windows Libraries Update on your computer.
Other major reasons behind msvcp60.dll errors are malware infections and a corrupt registry. Malware, such as viruses, worms, and trojans deliberately make the DLL files, such as msvcp60.dll corrupt by injecting invalid codes into them. As a result, you may receive â€œmsvcp60.dll is not found or missingâ€ error every time an application tries to access the infected msvcp60.dll file. To resolve msvcp60.dll errors due to malware, perform a malware scan on your entire system, using advanced security tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease.
Last, but not least, maintain a clean and healthy registry. A corrupt registry may lead to recurring DLL errors, such as msvcp60.dll errors. Perform regular registry scans using advanced registry cleaning software, such as RegServe to ensure your system registry remains clean and compact.