What is mfc42.dll?
Mfc42.dll file is an essential file that is required for Windows to operate. It is part of the Microsoft Visual Studio program. The mfc42.dll module provides a number of classes and functions that are used by applications created in Microsoft Visual Studio.
It is recommended that you do not remove the mfc42.dll from your computer because absence of the mfc42.dll library may cause software and programs that use the functions that mfc42.dll provides to crash or become unstable.
Mfc42.dll Error while using HTML Editor
When using HTML editor, you may receive an error message that points to the mfc42.dll file.
Generally, these errors occur when the version of mfc42.dll present on your computer is older than the one HTML editor requires. For some reason, the mfc42.dll file is not updated during the installation process.
To repair the mfc42.dll error, you need to first uninstall the HTML Editor, rename the mfc42.dll file present on your computer, and then reinstall HTML Editor. To achieve this, perform the following steps
- Click Start and select Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove programs.
- Locate and select HTML Editor, and then click Remove to uninstall HTML Editor.
- Click Start and select Search.
- Next, click All files and folders.
- Type mfc42.dll in the box under All or part of the filename, and select Local Hard Drives from the Look in drop-down menu.
- Next, click Search.
- Right-click on mfc42.dll that appears in the right-pane of Search Results window and click Rename. Rename the mfc42.dll to mfc42.old.dll.
- Install the HTML Editor.
If the error still persists, download a patch from the Microsoft website.
Mfc42.dll Error in Microsoft Windows 98 or Windows 95
When you start a WordPad or Paint in Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition or Windows 95 PC, you may receive the following error message:
â€œ[filename]Â caused an invalid page fault in module Mfc42.dll atÂ [memory address]â€
Cause of the Error
This mfc42.dll error occurs if the registry entries of Paint or WordPad are damaged.
To fix the mfc42.dll error, uninstall Paint and WordPad, remove their registry entries, and then reinstall the programs. To achieve this perform the following steps:
Note: The steps illustrated below require you to edit the registry. Editing the registry incorrectly can cause irreparable damage to your system. Please proceed only if you are comfortable in editing the registry. Before making the proposed changes, make a registry back up. You may do this manually or by using the help of an advanced registry cleaner, such as RegServe, to backup the registry.
- Go to Start, Settings, and click Control Panel.
- Next, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Windows Setup, click Accessories, and then click Details.
- Clear the checkboxes before WordPad and Paint, and then click OK twice.
- Next, run the regedit command to delete the following registry keys, and then restart your computer
- Repeat the steps 1, 2, and 3.
- Select the checkboxes before WordPad and Paint, and then click OK twice.
You may also experience mfc42.dll errors if the file is infected. Malware programs deliberately inject invalid codes into DLL files, such as mfc42.dll and corrupt them. To prevent DLL errors, such as mfc42.dll errors, from occurring due to malware infection it is imperative that you install robust protective tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease. Also, keep your security software updated with the latest security updates and malware definitions. Plus, do not forget to schedule regular malware scans of your entire PC.