Iertutil.dll â€“ File Information
The iertutil.dll module is a run time utility for Microsoft Internet Explorer. By default the file is located in the Windows\System32 folder. The most common size of this file is 267,776 bytes. You may also find the file in 1,778,688, 220,160, and 251,392 bytes sizes.
Is it safe to remove iertutil.dll?
No, do not remove this file. Removing iertutil.dll may prevent Internet Explorer and other Internet-based applications from working properly.
After upgrading to Internet Explorer 7 from Internet Explorer 7 beta version, when you start Internet Explorer it may not start and you may receive the following error message:
“The ordinal 313 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll”
Cause of the Error
Generally, the above error occurs due to a glitch in the beta version of Internet Explorer 7.
To resolve the iertutil.dll error, manually locate, copy, and paste the iertutil.dll file to your system32 folder. To achieve this complete the following steps:
- Click Start and then click Search.
- Click All files and folders, and type iertutil.dll in the All or part of the file name box.
- Select Local Hard Drives in the Look in drop down menu, and click the Search button. The result will be shown in the right-pane.
- Next, right-click iertutil.dll, and select Copy.
- Now, double-click the My Computer icon on your desktop.
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32 folder, right-click on an empty area, and then click Paste.
- Restart your computer.
Note: In step 6, the C: drive is taken as the drive on which Windows is installed. If you have installed Windows on a different drive, replace C with the drive letter of that drive.
How to repair â€œiertutil.dll is missingâ€ errors
Typically, the â€œiertutil.dll is missing errorâ€ occurs when the DLL file is either missing or corrupt. Perform the following steps to fix such errors:
Download the missing iertutil.dll file from the Internet
If the iertutil.dll is missing from your computer, download the iertutil.dll file from a free, reliable, and trustworthy online DLL directory and save the file in Windows\System32 folder. Next, register the iertutil.dll file. To achieve this, perform the following steps:
- Click the Start Menu and then click Run.
- Type cmd in the Open box and press Enter.
- In the command prompt window, type the following command and press Enter
- Next, type exit and press enter.
Perform a malware scan
Malware programs, such as viruses, worms, and trojans deliberately corrupt DLL files, such as the iertutil.dll file and cause recurring DLL errors. To fix iertutil.dll errors occurring due to malware infection, run a malware scan on your entire system, using reliable and advanced security software, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease.
Perform a registry scan
You may receive, â€œiertutil.dll is missing or not foundâ€ errors, if the registry entries of the iertutil.dll file is invalid or corrupt. Perform a registry scan, using top-rated registry cleaning software, such as RegServe, to fix DLL errors occurring due to registry issues.