Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error may occur on a Windows XP computer for various reasons. Resolution methods for two different situations are discussed below.
The following error message may be displayed on your Windows XP Home or Professional computer when you start it:
Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
When you select Click Here at the bottom of the error message box, the following error signature information may display:
App name App version Module name Module version Offset
Svchost.exe 5.1.2600.0 Hpgtpusd.dll 220.127.116.1100008d0d
Additionally, when you try to open My Computer from Start menu or by double-clicking on its icon on the Desktop, a flashlight icon may display for a long time before the files are displayed. At times, the list of files and folders may not display at all.
Cause of the Error
Usually this error message is displayed if you have an old version of an HP printer or scanner driver installed on your system.
You can resolve this problem by performing the following steps:
- Shut down your PC and turn off your HP Printer or Scanner.
- Disconnect the printer or scanner from the PC.
- Restart the PC.
- Next, remove the old drivers and then install the updated and compatible driver for your printer or scanner on the system.
At times, the following error-message may display on your computer screen when you attempt to boot your Windows XP computer:
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Moreover, when attempting to download Windows Update on your PC, the following error message may appear:
Svchost.exe application error. The instruction at “Ox745f2780” referenced memory at 0x00000000000000. The memory could not be read.
Perform the following steps to resolve the problem:
- Open Start menu, select Run, type the following command and then click OK.
- Next, open My Computer and then locate and delete the following folders:
- Next, open the C:\Windows folder.
- Here, rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistributionOLD.
- Next, open the C:\Windows\system32 folder, and then rename the following files by changing their extensions from .dll to .old.
- Restart the computer.
net stop wuauserv
Note: Here, C: represents the system drive in which operating system files are located.
Error messages such as the one discussed here and many other computer errors may occur on your Windows computer due to problems in the Windows registry and virus and spyware infections. To prevent errors due to these, you must regularly clean your registry with the help of a reliable registry cleaner tool such as RegServe. Additionally, you must use efficient and reliable antivirus and antispyware tools such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease to perform regular full system scans and maintain a PC free from malicious software and files.