What is vrlogon.dll?
Vrlogon.dll file belongs to the IBM Fingerprint Software which is used as a biometric login on a laptop. This software is designed by UPEK Inc and is customized for IBM ThinkPad laptops or Lenovo ThinkPad laptops.
What are the errors generated by vrlogon.dll?
The error generated by the vrlogon.dll file is listed below:
A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: vrlogon.dll.
What are the operating systems and IBM models affected by the vrlogin.dll errors?
IBM Fingerprint Reader software version 5.6.1 has been known to have an issue with Windows XP on ThinkPad T42, T42P, Z60m, and Z60t.
How to fix errors generated by vrlogon.dll
IBM ThinkPad allows a user to log onto the system using the biometric login device present on the laptop. This device is controlled by the Fingerprint software which uses the vrlogon.dll and overrides the windows login. This software not only overrides the Windows login, but also disables the fast user switching support in Windows XP. When you try to enable fast user switching, it will display the vrlogon error.
To enable the fast user switching option and to fix the error generated by the vrlogon.dll, follow these methods:
1) Bypass the Fingerprint Logon
2) Enable Fast user switching with Fingerprint logon
3) Uninstall the fingerprint software
Bypassing the Fingerprint logon – To bypass the IBM fingerprint logon option, follow these steps:
- Click on Start and go to All Programs
- Select ThinkVantage and then choose ThinkVantage Fingerprint software
- Now click on Control Centre
- Choose Settings and then click on System Settings
- Under the Logon tab, disable the option “Allow to bypass logon using Windows password”
- Restart the system
This will take care of the error completely.
Enabling Fast user switching with Fingerprint logon- if you need the fingerprint logon with fast user switching, then follow these steps:
- Click Start and then All Programs
- Choose ThinkVantage and then Client Security Solution
- Open the Advanced Menu and choose Change logon settings
- Under the Windows Setting tab, choose Enable Fingerprint Logon Interface radio button and check the box which says Fast user switching support
- Click OK
- Close all windows and restart the system
This will take care of the issue completely.
Uninstalling the Fingerprint software- This method should be used only if the above two methods fail to work and display errors with vrlogon.dll. To uninstall the IBM Fingerprint software completely, follow these steps:
- Click on Start and go to Control Panel
- Choose Add or Remove Programs
- From the list of programs, choose IBM Fingerprint Software
- Now click on Uninstall
- After this, close all windows and restart the system
This should solve the problem with fast user switching and Windows Logon completely. It is better to use the Perfect Uninstaller software to remove the IBM Fingerprint software as it also removes the registry entries completely.