Error number 0x80040702 generally generates when you install new software on your computer.
Causes of Error
Common causes behind the 0x80040702 error are:
- Your computer is unable to locate one or more files required for installation.
- There are left over entries or files from a previous version of the software.
- The registry of your computer is corrupt.
- Your computer is infected with one or more malware.
This article provides solutions to some common 0x80040702 errors and their solutions:
The following error may occur when you try to install CorelDRAW11:
Error 0x80040702: can’t locate dll: swcusten (CorelDraw 11-File Not Found)
On reading the above error message one can conclude that the program is unable to locate one or more files that it requires for installation. In this case, the program is unable to locate the SWcustEN.dll and MCsetup.dll files, causing the above error message to appear on your screen.
- Open the Start menu and select the Search command.
- Here, click All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box, type SWcustEN.dll and select the Local Hard Drives option in the Look in list.
- If file is shown in the search results, copy and paste it in the Windows\System32 folder.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the MCsetup.dll file.
- Insert the installation disk of CorelDRAW11 to proceed with the installation.
Note: If the file SWcustEN.dll or MCsetup.dll are missing from your system, download them from a reliable, free DLL Directory website or copy them from a system that has a similar configuration to your PC.
At times, you may encounter a fatal error 0x80040702 message when you try to reinstall a program on your computer.
This error usually occurs when some files or entries of the program get left behind when you uninstalled it earlier.
To rectify the error, use the Search feature to locate and delete any files of this program still present on your system. Next, perform a registry scan using a reliable registry cleaning software, such as RegServe, to get rid of the leftover entries. Now, proceed with the installation.
At times, the Add or Remove Programs utility in Windows is unable to ensure complete program removal. This is why the use of an efficient program uninstaller tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller, is highly recommended.
You may also encounter the 0x80040702 error when you try to upgrade software.
For instance, the following error may appear when you try to install Palm Treo 650 on a system that already has an older version, such as Palm version 3.0 installed.
Error Number: 0x80040702
Description: Failed to load dll: HSAPI
To resolve this error, first uninstall the previous version of the program using the Add or Remove Programs utility or Perfect Uninstaller. Next, scan your registry to remove any leftover entries of this program. After you have removed all traces of the previous version, proceed with the new installation.
Last but not least, a malware infection may also cause error 0x80040702 to frequently appear on your system. Install reliable antimalware tools, such as Antivirus and Spyware Cease to safe guard your system against malicious programs, such as virus, worm, trojans, adware, and spyware. Perform regular virus/malware scans of your entire system and keep your antimalware tool up-to-date with the latest security threats and virus definitions.