The Vsmon.exe file belongs to the ZoneAlarm firewall. This file is run to generate alerts based on the security rules you set. The file also monitors Internet traffic to your computer. In this article, we are going to discuss the method to resolve a common problem that users face when ZoneAlarm firewall is installed on your computer.
If you have the ZoneAlarm firewall installed on your computer and you try to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, then the Microsoft Windows Component Update (WCU) may fail to install all Microsoft .NET Framework components. Also, your Windows system may freeze up and stop responding.
Cause of the Error
This problem occurs because the third party firewall, ZoneAlarm, may prevent some of the essential Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) from starting correctly. When this happens, WCU is unable to install all Microsoft .NET Framework components on your computer.
To resolve this issue, you will have to work around the problem by performing the following tasks:
- Add a new W3SVC entry in the registry.
- Turn off the ZoneAlarm firewall service.
Warning 1: The resolution method described here requires you to edit the Windows registry. Because the registry is an essential component of your Windows operating system, you must be very careful while working with it. This is the reason why, you must always back up the registry before you make any edits to it. You can make a registry backup by using the Export command on the File menu of the Registry Editor (regedit), or by using the Backup and Restore feature of a reliable registry cleaner tool.
Warning 2: The workaround method may make your computer more vulnerable to malicious attacks by hackers and malware programs, such as virus and spyware. Therefore, you must apply this workaround only if you are sure that your computer is safe from these attacks.
Steps to add a new W3SVC entry in the registry of computers with Windows NT or later:
- Run the Regedit command to open the Registry Editor window.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Double-click DependOnService in the right-pane.
- In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, add W3SVC to the list in the Value Data box and then click the OK button.
- Exit Registry Editor window, and then restart your system.
Disable the ZoneAlarm Firewall Service
To disable the ZoneAlarm firewall service on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, perform the following steps:
- Open Start menu, select Run, type msconfig.exe, and then press Enter.
- On the General tab, in the System Configuration Utility dialog box, select the Selective Startup option.
- Next, clear all check boxes that are given under the Selective Startup option.
- Open the Services tab, and then select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
- Clear all check boxes left behind.
- Open the Startup tab.
- Search for and clear the check boxes of the Firewall and Antivirus services.
- Click Apply to save the changes and then click the OK button to exit the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
- Restart the PC when prompted.
- Now, install Visual Studio .Net on your computer.
- After the installation completes successfully, open the System Configuration Utility again and select all the check boxes you cleared earlier to restore the security of your computer.
Driver Update: Many errors are related to driver problems such as obsolete, outdated or incompatible drivers. A driver update tool is recommended to scan your system for corrupted and outdated drivers and to ensure that all your drivers stay up-to-date.