The icfgnt.dll file is associated with Microsoft Internet Explorer. In this article we will discuss a common icfgnt.dll error and the steps you can perform to resolve the error.
When you start Internet Explorer or Outlook Express on a Windows XP computer, you may receive the following error message:
"Windows cannot load the Internet Configuration Library (ICFGNT.DLL).â€
Cause of the Error
The above error occurs when one or more of the following conditions hold true:
- The icfgnt.dll file is damaged or missing.
- Malware infection.
- Corrupt or damaged registry.
Depending on the cause of the icfgnt.dll error, you can perform the following steps to fix the error:
Method 1: Extract the icfgnt.dll from your Windows Installation CD
In case the icfgnt.dll file on your computer is missing or damaged, extract the file from your original XP installation disc.
To do this, perform the following steps:
- Insert the Windows installation disc in your CD/DVD ROM.
- Next, click Start and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type the msconfig command and press the OK button.
- Click the Expand File button under the General tab in the System Configuration Utility box.
- In the File to restore box, type icfgnt.dll.
- In the Restore from box, type the path to the .cab file from which you want to restore the icfgnt.dll file. Alternatively, you may click Browse From to locate the .cab file.
Note: .cab files in Windows XP are stored in I386 folder on the Windows XP disc.
- Next, in the Save file in box, type the path where you want to save the extracted file. Alternatively, you may click Browse To to navigate to the folder where you want to save the file.
- Next, click Apply and then click OK.
- If prompted, reboot your Windows XP computer.
If you do not have the original Windows Installation CD, then you can use either of the following methods to replace the missing or corrupt icfgnt.dll file:
- Uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer â€“ As the icfgnt.dll module belongs to the Internet Explorer, when you reinstall the Internet Explorer the icfgnt.dll file is automatically saved on your computer.
- Download the icfgnt.dll from the Internet â€“ You can also obtain a new copy of the icfgnt.dll file from a reliable online DLL directory.
Method 2: Run a malware scan
If the icfgnt.dll error still persists, run a malware scan on your entire computer using advanced antivirus and antispyware programs. Often, malware programs interfere with other processes and files, causing random errors to appear.
Run a registry scan
Lastly, run a registry scan to sweep clean your registry of unwanted and harmful entries and fix errors that may be occurring due to registry issues.
Often, DLL errors, such as icfgnt.dll errors occur when the Windows registry is damaged or corrupt. To fix errors occurring due to registry issues, perform a registry scan using an advanced registry cleaning software.