Yahoo Messenger is one of the most popular online chatting and instant messaging clients that enables users to interact with their friends and acquaintances in real time. In order to use the messenger, you need to have a Yahoo ID, using which you can log on to the messenger. The latest version of Yahoo Messenger comprises features that enable you to chat with your friends using the Windows Live, LCS, and Lotus SameTime messengers. The messenger enables you to easily check your Yahoo mail and even play online radio to listen to music of your choice while working on your computer. Despite of all these features, many times you need to uninstall Yahoo Messenger from your system. Some of the common reasons for uninstalling are given below:
- You are unable to log on to your messenger.
- Messenger fails to start due to damaged or corrupt installation files.
- You are unable to upgrade to the latest version of Yahoo Messenger.
- You are unable to send and receive messages.
- The messenger is eating up a lot of space on your system and is considerably affecting your system performance.
- You are receiving many system errors due to Yahoo Messenger.
- You want to use some other messenger for online chats.
How do I Completely Uninstall Yahoo Messenger?
If you are frequently facing problems with your Yahoo Messenger and want to remove it from your system, perform the following steps:
- Log out of Yahoo Messenger and exit the application.
- Open the Start menu from the taskbar and select Control Panel.
- Double-click on the Add or Remove Programs icon.
- Browse through the list in the Add or Remove Programs window and select the Yahoo! Messenger option.
- Select the Change/Remove button.
- On the Yahoo! Messenger dialog box, select the Finish button to complete the installation process.
- Restart your computer, if the uninstallation process doesn’t restart it automatically.
- Navigate to Yahoo folder in Program Files (C:\Program Files\Yahoo) and delete it.
Note: Remember that in doing so, you may lose all of your saved archives.
- Finally, open the Registry Editor by running the regedit.exe file and navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ registry entry, delete Yahoo, and exit the Registry Editor window.
Warning: Any mistake while manually editing the system registry can cause non-repairable damage to it, and may render your system unusable. Therefore, instead of using Registry Editor, it is advised to go for a dependable registry cleaning utility. Use this utility to first make a full backup of your registry and then run a scan to identify all unwanted, obsolete, and orphan entries within it. Finally, scan through the results and select the entries you want to remove from the registry. A registry cleaner not only helps you clean up the registry, but also helps you keep it error free and maintains your PC at its best working condition.
Yahoo Messenger is a popular instant messaging utility used by millions all over the world to interact with their friends in real time. However, just like any other software program, Yahoo Messenger also has its share of problems. Many times, these problems and system errors generated by Yahoo Messenger force you to uninstall the messenger completely from your system. You can easily uninstall Yahoo Messenger by using the Control Panel. However, to ensure a complete uninstall you may need to search for and manually delete orphaned Yahoo folder and registry files from the system. Instead of manually removing registry files, it is recommended that you use a good registry cleaner utility that helps you accomplish the task safely, efficiently, and easily.
Driver Update: Many errors are related to driver problems such as obsolete, outdated or incompatible drivers. A driver update tool is recommended to scan your system for corrupted and outdated drivers and to ensure that all your drivers stay up-to-date.