The csgina.dll file is associated with Cisco VPN (Virtual Private Network). You may encounter the following error when you uninstall or install the Cisco VPN client.
“The Login User Interface DLL CSGina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL.”
The above error occurs because the Cisco VPN client adds a key in the registry that disables the fast user switching and loads the VPN client before Windows loads.
To fix the error, perform the steps discussed below.
Warning: The steps discussed here require you to edit the registry. You should proceed only if you are comfortable in working with the Windows Registry. Also, as a precaution make sure that you make a registry backup before making any changes to it. You may use a reliable registry maintenance software for this purpose or back up the registry manually.
- Restart Windows.
- Press and hold the F8 key as Windows reloads, until the Advanced Boot Option Menu appears.
- Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow keys, and then press Enter.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- In the right-hand pane of Registry Editor locate and right-click GinaDLL.
- Click Delete.
- Close the Registry Editor window.
- Restart your computer.
In case you don’t have a GUI at startup and cannot load Windows in Safe Mode then you can use the steps discussed below.
- Load Recovery Console.
- Type the following commands:
- If you get a prompt asking you if you want to overwrite, select Yes.
- Close Recovery Console.
- Verify if you can log in with your profile.
COPY CSGina.DLL OLDCSGina.DLL
COPY MSGina.DLL CSGina.DLL
For more information, we suggest you check this Microsoft help page.
Users who are using the Cisco Systems VPN dialer should use this method.
After installing the Cisco VPN dialer program, you are unable to use the Fast User Switching feature. When you try to turn on the Fast User Switching feature, an error message pops up stating that a program used the CSGina.dll file to switch off the Fast User Switching feature and Windows Welcome Screen feature.
This behavior occurs because the Cisco Systems VPN Dialer program replaces the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll) by its own Graphical Identification and Authentication filter driver file (CSGina.dll).
To fix the issue, perform the following steps:
Warning: The steps discussed here require you to edit registry. You should proceed only if you are comfortable in working with Windows registry. Also, as a precaution make sure that you make a registry backup before making any changes to it. You may use a reliable registry maintenance software for this purpose or back up the registry manually.
- Open the Registry Editor window and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- Locate and right-click GinaDLL in the right-pane of the Registry Editor window.
- Click Delete.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Open the Add or Remove Programs window.
- Locate and right-click Cisco Systems VPN Dialer in the currently installed programs list.
- Click Remove/Uninstall.