What is Error 1706?
Error 1706 is usually displayed at run time when a program is installed using InstallShield. You may see one of the following errors messages:
Error -1706: No valid source could be found for product.”
Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. For other potential solutions to this problem, see <path to program that will provide you with the required help> ”
Note: The error message may also prompt you to browse and provide the location of the MSI package.
What Causes 1706 Error?
You may receive the error when any of the conditions given below holds true:
- Windows installer in unable to find the source files to run the setup of the program you are trying to install.
- The program for which you are trying to run the setup was originally installed through network administrative installation, which is no longer available.
- You are trying to run the setup from CD-ROM, when you are actually being prompted by Windows Installer to provide source location of the program’s installation files.
- You click the Cancel button when the installer prompts you to provide the path to your CD.
- When you are in Maintenance mode or while trying to uninstall an application.
- Many times, the error is displayed when installing software patches and other minor upgrades.
During installation of a program that uses Windows Installer to perform the setup, the original installation or the MSI package is cached in the C:\winnt\Installer directory. This is done mainly for maintenance or repair. Improper caching of MSI file is one of the main causes of the error.
Fix Windows Installer 1706 Error
Let’s now have a look at the some of the methods that you can use to fix the error.
In case you are installing from the Web and you are prompted to browse to MSI package, then you must first ensure that when you double-click on the Setup.exe file, it looks for the MSI package in the correct location. To check this, you need to open Release Wizard, and verify that the URL specified for the Web server has the MSI package that must be downloaded to install your program.
When installing over the network, you must ensure that you have full rights (read-write-execute) to the network location from where you are running the setup.
You must check that you have the latest InstallShield version on your computer. If not, then update it to resolve the error.
You must ensure that you are logged on with administrative privileges on the computer before starting the installation.
If the installation is unable to locate the required files, try to use the Windows search feature to look for the files and provide the location to the installation process.
Finally, you must try to use a registry cleaner utility, such as RegGenie to check the registry for conflicts and problems with the cache. If there is a problem, your registry cleaner tool can easily repair it and resolve the error.
To keep your computer free from errors, such as 1706 error, you must keep you’re your computer updated with the latest patches and security releases. Additionally, you must run regular registry scans using a registry cleaner to ensure that your computer is free from errors and other problems.
Driver Update: Many errors are related to driver problems such as obsolete, outdated or incompatible drivers. A driver update tool is recommended to scan your system for corrupted and outdated drivers and to ensure that all your drivers stay up-to-date.