The binkw32.dll file belongs to the Bink Video codec, which is manufactured by RAD Game Tools, Inc. This codec is used in many popular Windows games. A few common errors associated with this file are:
- “Missing BINKW32.DLL”
- “An attempt to delay-load a .dll or get a function address in a delay-loaded .dll failed. Dll: binkw32.dll”
- “This application failed to start because BINKW32.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
- “Cannot find binkw32.dll!”
- “Binkw32.dll Not Found”
Some of the popular games that are known to encounter the binkw32.dll problem are Hitman: Blood Money, Tomb Raider: Legend Dungeon Lords, Civilization III, Demon Stone, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield 1942, Broken Sword 4, Ragnarok, BioShock, Battlefield Vietnam, Empire Earth II, DarkRO, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Star Wars: Battlefront II, Age of Conan, World in Conflict, Dungeon Siege II, and Sid Meier’s Pirates!.
Cause of Errors
The most common cause of these binkw32.dll error messages is when you try to run a buggy game on your computer.
You are likely to encounter these problems when you don’t run your game from an original CD or DVD. For example, you are likely to encounter these errors if you try to run a game that uses the Bink Video codec from a pirated CD/DVD.
Perform the following steps in the sequence listed in order to resolve the missing DLL error related to the binkw32.dll file:
Note: After performing each step, check to see if the binkw32.dll problem has been resolved.
- Restart the game that generated the error. If the error occurred due to a temporary condition, restarting the program may resolve the issue.
- Reinstall your game. If there are any issues with the Bink Video codec, reinstalling the game may resolve these problems.
Note: Before reinstalling, it is recommended that you first completely uninstall your game. You may use a reliable program uninstaller tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller for this purpose.
- Download and install the latest game update. The error may occur if the game installed on your computer is outdated. To remedy this situation, visit the game website and look for and download any updates available for your game. Installing the update may resolve blink32.dll file problems.
- Download and install RAD Video Tools. Visit the RAD Game Tools website and download RAD Video Tools from there. This software comprises the Bink video codec along with the valid original binkw32.dll file.
Note: You must download these tools only if reinstalling your game does not resolve the blink32.dll error.
- Copy the binkw32.dll file from the System directory in your game folder to the root of the game folder. For example, if the binkw32.dll file is located in the C:\Program Files\GameName\System folder, copy it to the C:\Program Files\GameName folder.
- If step 5 does not fix the issue, copy the binkw32.dll file from your game folder to the Windows system folder. The default location of the Windows system folder is C:\Windows\System.
- Ensure that you have the original version of the game with you. The most common cause of the “procedure entry point _BlinkSetVolume@12″ error is pirated game software. If this is the case, it is best that you obtain the original version of your game and then install it to resolve your error message.
- Check to make sure that your video card supports the game you are trying play. If your PC has an old video card, it is quite likely that it does not support your game. So, you may try to resolve the DLL error by upgrading your video card.
When you encounter missing DLL errors, can also download DLL files reported in the error message from a reputable online website. However, this is not a recommended solution as it is quite prone to errors.
Lastly, it is a good idea to use a reliable registry tool, such as RegGenie, to scan and fix any issues related to DLL registry entries.
Driver Update: Many errors are related to driver problems such as obsolete, outdated or incompatible drivers. A driver update tool is recommended to scan your system for corrupted and outdated drivers and to ensure that all your drivers stay up-to-date.