Would you like to change your save desktop configuration upon exiting? If you have a Windows XP based PC, a quick registry tweak will allow you to do this. This tweak will allow you to enable or disable your current desktop configuration upon exit.
Always create a back-up prior to editing your registry. This will provide you with a means to reinstall should any issues arise.
To perform the procedure:
1. Click Start. Click run and enter regedit. Your registry will come up.
2. Look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER on the left side of the box. Expand the folder by clicking on the cross on the folder’s left side.
3. Once you’ve done that, go to the Software folder and expand.
4. You should see the Microsoft folder.
5. Go to Windows.
6. Expand CurrentVersion to get to the Policies folder.
7. Expand the Policies folder to go to the Explorer folder.
8. On the right side pane of the box, look for NoSaveSettings. If you don’t have this value, you will have to create it.
- Right click on the right side pane of your registry.
- Select New and then DWORD as illustrated.
- New Value #1 should come up. Change the name to NoSaveSettings by right clicking on New Value #1 and selecting Rename.
Now that you have the NoSaveSettings folder, you can now enable or disable your Save the Desktop Configuration on exit.
9. Double click NoSaveSettings. A smaller box will pop up.
10. Type in 0 to disable. Type in 1 to enable.
11. Exit the registry. Reboot your PC.