What is msnmsgr.exe?
Msnmsgr.exe is the primary executable file of the MSN Messenger application. MSN Messenger is Microsoft’s popular chat and instant messaging client which is built into the Windows OS and is now popularly known as Windows Live Messenger. Msnmsgr.exe also helps one log on to the popular Passport and Hotmail service of Microsoft.
What are the errors generated by the msnmsgr.exe file?
The errors generated by msnmsgr.exe depend on the way the files affect the messenger application. The errors can be related to:
a) Logging into the messaging service – Logging into Windows Live Messenger can display errors such as:
Error 81000395, 80072efd,80048820 - You Cannot Sign In To Windows Live Messenger
b) Affected by malwares – Windows Live Messenger is widely used, and this also makes it a likely target of malware and viruses. The messenger, after being affected by malware, can take up 100% of the CPU and cause the system to hang.
c) Application error – Application errors generated by Windows Live Messenger are commonly due to various applications trying to take control of some files used by the client. Some of the errors are:
msnmsgr.exe - Application error, The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.
Error 0xc0000005: The application failed to initialize properly
What are the versions of Windows that can generate msnmsgr.exe errors?
The versions of Windows which can generate errors with Messenger files are all versions of:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
How to fix errors generated by msnmsgr.exe
Errors generated while logging into Messenger is caused due to these reasons:
- Antivirus and Firewall settings – All the antivirus and firewalls disable IM clients as they are usually targeted to infect a system. Setting the options to enable constant monitoring is important for logging into Windows Live Messenger.
- Wrong Password – Sometimes, the wrong password can generate errors with Windows Live Messenger. Checking the password for any typos will help solve this problem
- No Internet connection – Internet issues can sometimes lead to errors with msnmsgr.exe. Checking for constant access will help overcome the issue.
If a system is affected by malwares and is causing your system to run extremely slow, then follow these steps:
- Right click on the Taskbar and choose Task Manager
- Under the Processes tab, look for msnmsgr.exe and check the CPU usage
- Right Click on it and select End Process Tree
- Close all the windows and then Click on Start
- In the Run dialog box type msconfig and hit enter
- In the System Configuration window go to the Startup Tab
- Uncheck the msnmsgr.exe option
- Now Click Ok and restart the system
This will stop msnmsgr.exe.
For errors related to various applications, it is always better to check the type of application which has been installed recently. Some applications have known issues with Windows Live Messenger, such as:
- NVIDIA Network Access Manager
- F-Secure Internet Security
To fix the issue, it is better to upgrade all the older versions of Windows Live Messenger. This can be done by updating Windows.