What is cmdagent.exe?
The cmdagent.exe file belongs to â€˜Comodo Firewall proâ€™ software. This process is part of Comodo firewall, which is a legitimate software and not a Trojan or a Virus.
How does it affect my system?
A firewall is designed to start with the operating system and run with the core Windows processes. This is why the Cmdagent.exe file starts with the system. A problem arises when cmdagent.exe remains in the system even after being uninstalled. It gulps all the memory needed to run your system smoothly and your CPU usage goes up to 100%.
This usually happens because the Cmdagent file starts looking for all the other associated files of the Comodo firewall and, in turn, uses up the complete memory slowing down the system drastically.
Do all systems running Comodo Firewall Pro have a problem?
No, this file being the part of a genuine firewall software doesnâ€™t create a problem just by being on the system. If your system is running slow, you can check for the cmdagent.exe process in the task manager of the operating system. To check this, follow these steps:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc together to bring up the Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab and look for cmdagent.exe under Image name.
- If the cmdagent.exe process is taking up to 99 to 100% of CPU usage then this file is the reason for your systemâ€™s sluggish performance.
How to Stop or Disable this Process
Letâ€™s start with the most basic method. Uninstalling the software using the Comodo software uninstaller should remove this file completely. The steps are:
- Click on Start.
- Click on All Programs.
- Move to Comodo Firewall.
You will see the command to uninstall the firewall.
- Click the uninstall command to launch the Comodo Firewall uninstaller.
Once the process completes, Comodo Firewall Pro will be removed from the system.
The location of the Comodo firewall file is â€“
Check for this file location in the task manager after uninstallation. If the file still exists or if uninstallation doesnâ€™t resolve the problem then we have to manually eliminate the process from the system.
To stop the process, we have to use the Windows system configuration utility:
- Click Start and then on Run.
- Type msconfig and click OK to open the System Configuration utility.
- Locate cmdagent.exe under the Startup tab.
- Clear the check box next to it.
- Click OK and restart your system.
This process will disable the cmdagent.exe process from running with Windows processes.
To entirely stop it from running, we have to disable it in the â€˜servicesâ€™ module of the operating system. To execute this you need to follow the steps below:
- Click Start and then on Run.
- Type Services.msc and click OK.
- Locate the Comodo Firewall pro from the Services window.
- Click on Stop and then choose Disabled under Startup Type.
- Click OK to close the Services Window.
- Restart your System.
This is the best way to manually remove cmdagant.exe from the system. The performance of the system should improve significantly after its successful removal.
Problems related to different applications may also occur if the registry of your computer is filled up with undesired junk and invalid information. In this case, it is best that you use a reliable registry tool such as PCHealthBoost to scan and clean, as well as repair, registry problems.