The following error message may be displayed on your computer screen when you try to install the Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1 (SR-1) Update on your Windows 2000 computer:
Internal Error 2932: Please contact product support for assistance.
Cause of the Error
This error message is displayed when all of the following conditions are true:
- You are installing the update on a Windows 2000 computer.
- You are logged on to the system as a power user.
- The Windows 2000 operating system is installed on an NTFS partition.
- Microsoft Office 2000 was installed on your PC when you were logged on the system as a power user.
- You are installing Microsoft Office 2000 SR1 on the system.
You can resolve the error by performing one of the following tasks.
- You must install Office 2000 SR-1 using a full-package product compact disc of the service release.
- Install the package by running the setup by using network installation files of Office 2000 SR-1.
How to Prevent Users from Applying Windows Installer Patch
If you are the system administrator of a network and you want to prevent users from applying Windows Installer patches on their systems, then you may use the group policy editor to enable the Disable Patching system policy.
When you do this, the DisablePatch DWORD value of the following registry key is set to 1:
When users try to install Office 2000 SR-1 after you apply this policy then instead of internal error 2932, the following error message will be displayed on the system:
In this error message #### in log file would comprise a number, such as 0001.
This log file in located in the following folder on the system:
The name of the log file is similar to Office 2000 SR-1 Setup(####)_MsiExec.txt. When you open this file, you may see the following text in it:
This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator.
Note: When you enable the Disable Patching system policy, all Windows Installer patches are disabled from being installed on the system, not just the Office 2000 SR-1 update.
You can install Office 2000 SR-1 from the Microsoft website.
This Office 2000 SR-1 is used to update all Office 2000 programs and their supporting files installed on your system to SR-1 level. You can use this update to upgrade the following:
- All Microsoft 2000 editions, including, Standard, Small business, Premium, Professional, and Developer editions.
- All Microsoft Office 2000 standalone programs, including, Word 2000, Excel 2000, PowerPoint 2000, Outlook 2000, Access 2000, FrontPage 2000 and Publisher 2000.
This update does not update the following:
- Microsoft Office 2000 Administrative installations-for these you need to obtain special SR-1 designed for these installations.
- Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000.
- Microsoft Office 2000 Language Pack files.
- Non-English Office 2000 versions.