Fixing Error 1068
On your Windows XP computer, you may receive one of the following error messages when you try to run the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard:
"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start."
"1068: Dependency service or group failed to start."
Cause of the Error
As the error message suggests the error generates if one of the required dependent services fail to load on the system.
To resolve the error message, ensure that all the required dependent services have started on the system by performing the following steps:
- Open Start menu and then select the Help and Support command.
- In the Pick a Task section, select the Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems option.
- In the Tools section, select System Configuration Utility and then click Open System Configuration Utility in the right-pane to open the System Configuration Utility.
- Open the Services tab.
- Ensure that the following services are selected:
- Application Layer Gateway Service
- Network Connections
- Network Location Awareness (NLA)
- Plug and Play
- Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
- Remote Access Connection Manager
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- Click the OK button and then click Restart when prompted.
- Rerun the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard after the system restarts.
Note: You can also open Start menu, select Run, type msconfig and then press Enter to open the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
Fixing Error 1083
The following error 1083 may occur when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site.
Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service. (0x8007043B)
Cause of the Error
You may encounter this error message if one or both of the following condition is true:
- There is some problem with the registration of required DLL files that is preventing the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) from connecting to the update Web site.
- BITS is not running on the system
To resolve this error message, perform the following steps:
- To register the required DLL files, open Start menu, select Run, type the following command and press Enter to run them.
- regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgr.dll
- regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgrprxy.dll
- To start Background Intelligent Transfer Service, open Start menu, select Run, type services.msc and then press Enter.
- In the Services window, scroll down and double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Click Start on the General tab to start the service.
To prevent problems with registered files on the system, it is essential that you maintain a clean and error-free registry. You can do so easily with the help of a reliable registry cleaner tool, such as RegGenie.
Driver Update: Many errors are related to driver problems such as obsolete, outdated or incompatible drivers. A driver update tool is recommended to scan your system for corrupted and outdated drivers and to ensure that all your drivers stay up-to-date.