What is Emsmdb32.dll?
Emsmdb32.dll is a file which is part of the Microsoft Outlook mail client program belonging to the MS Office family. This file is included as part of Microsoft Outlook service pack since Outlook 1997.
What are the Errors Generated by the Emsmdb32.dll File?
1.outlook.exe, version 11.0.6353.0, stamp 408f2937, faulting module emsmdb32.dll, version 11.0.6352.0, stamp 4082d9fd, debug? 0, fault address 0x00025212
2.Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.4518.1014, stamp 4542840f, faulting module emsmdb32.dll, version 12.0.4518.1014, stamp 45428079,debug? 0,fault address 0x00129aae
The errors depend on the version of Outlook being used.
What are the Versions of Outlook that can Generate Errors with the Emsmdb32.dll File?
Almost all versions of Outlook can generate this error. These versions include:
- Outlook 97
- Outlook 98
- Outlook 2000
- Outlook 2003
- Outlook 2007
Why Does the Emsmdb32.dll File Generate these Errors?
Emsmdb32.dll is part of the Microsoft Exchange server module, and this is the reason this file is present in all versions of Outlook. This file is constantly updated by Microsoft as it handles services from MAPI or Messaging Application Programming Interface. MAPI is the messaging architecture which is designed using Microsoft APIs and is used to allow mail clients like Outlook to communicate with Microsoft Exchange.
MAPI provides sessions to these mail clients to open their mailboxes. The problem occurs when multi-threaded programs use a single session of MAPI to log into different mailboxes in Outlook. The emsmdb32.dll module is not designed to handle multiple logins and stops the email program Outlook, which in turns leads to the display of multiple errors.
How to Fix Errors with the Emsmdb32.dll File
To fix errors arising due to the emsmdb32.dll module, perform the following steps:
- Work Around – For this, you need open Outlook in Safe Mode. This will not allow any kind of intervention by the MAPI program.
- Hold the Ctrl key when you are click on the Outlook shortcut key to launch the application,
- You can also click on Start. In the Run dialog box, type outlook.exe /safe and click on OK
- Update Microsoft Exchange – Microsoft has made note of the errors associated with the emsmdb32.dll module and has released a patch or a hotfix for it. The hotfix file can be downloaded as a single individual file, or you can download the service pack and do a complete update from the Microsoft website.
- Upgrade the Version of Outlook – The errors used to show up in older Outlook versions like 97, 2000, and 2002. It is always better to upgrade to the superior and most recent version of Microsoft Outlook, which has the fixed version of the emsmdb32.dll file. This will help fix the problem with Outlook errors because of this dll file.
To open Outlook in Safe Mode, follow these steps –
This will help you solve the problem temporarily, and you can then follow the steps below to fix the issue permanently.