The registry is a vital part of any Windows XP system. When you install and uninstall programs, create new files and folders, browse the Web, and perform any other activity on your computer, information is added to and accessed from the registry. Many of these registry entries are deleted automatically when you uninstall an application or stop using a particular program. However, there are always a few leftover entries that stay behind. Many times, when the entries are removed from the registry they leave behind vacant spaces. These invalid entries and vacant spaces keep accumulating in the registry and lead to its unrestrained growth. This, in turn, corrupts and defragments the registry.
There are many ways that you can regularly scan the registry for unwanted entries and remove these entries to make the registry healthy. One of the simplest and most efficient methods is to use a registry cleaner program.
Registry Cleaner Programs
It is quite easy to download a registry cleaner program from the Internet. You can choose between registry cleaner freeware and shareware programs based on your budget and the features you require. Registry cleaner freeware usually come with minimal features and you can use these software programs to perform some basic maintenance activities on the system. On the other hand, the shareware registry cleaners come equipped with advanced features, which are available for a certain period of time for free. The trial period is usually 30 days. After the trial period is over, you will have to purchase the software to be able to use all of its features.
Registry Cleaner Freeware and Shareware: Benefits
Using either a registry cleaner freeware or shareware utility, you can perform a number of registry and system maintenance activities that can help you rejuvenate your system back to the condition when you purchased it. Listed below are some of the benefits of registry cleaners.
- The most noteworthy benefit of a registry fixer program is that it goes deep into the registry hive in search of invalid, incorrect, obsolete, redundant, and corrupt entries. They make the task of weeding out these errors as simple as fetching a glass of water. After the scan is complete, a list of errors is displayed on the screen. Many registry cleaners display these errors by type. This makes the task of analyzing errors and selecting the one you want to eliminate easy.
- Being one of the most important ingredients for proper functioning of a Windows system, the registry must be backed up before any changes are made to it. 99% of all registry cleaner freeware and shareware programs provide options to backup the registry. They also provide an option to restore the registry, which makes it simple for you to undo any changes if something goes wrong.
- Advanced registry cleaners come equipped with registry defrag tools that enable you to remove vacant spaces from the registry to make it compact and contiguous. Defragmenting the registry also enables you to re-index the registry files thereby reducing the access time.
- A few advanced registry cleaners include the embedded key remover feature. Embedded keys are usually used by software programmers to save license information on your system. This prevents the users from evading the license agreement by repeatedly installing and uninstalling software. A few malware programs also misuse this feature to leave malicious entries within the registry. The embedded key remover feature makes it easy for you to remove these keys from your system.
- The interface of most of the registry cleaners is user-friendly, so even novice users can use them to improve their computer’s performance.
- A good registry cleaner also enables you to schedule regular registry scans on your PC. This way, you just need to set the scan schedule and forget all about it.
Due to the importance of maintaining a healthy registry, a large number of registry cleaner freeware and shareware programs are available on the Internet today. Along with the basic function to scan and repair the registry, each software program provides many other features that help keep your PC at its optimal performance. Prior to opting for any of these software programs, you must always go through their features, ratings, and user reviews before finally putting your money on the one that best suits your requirements.